I find working out solo has its benefits . . . it allows me to clear my head, and as endorphins release, ideation starts to slip in. This unlocks my creative juices and allows for new energy to flow.
However, when I train with a gym partner (the right gym partner), we encourage one another . . . We push each other harder.
Here are 5 benefits to training with a buddy . . .
- Competition- Having the right individual as your training partner helps you push new limits. Challenge each other with healthy competition. Try to outperform one another. Bottom line, competition drives results.
- You will have more fun- Crushing a workout is obviously top priority. One way you can crush a workout is by making it more engaging, having fun . . . It is good to switch things up and keeping the mind fresh too.
- New ideas- having another set of eyes on your form is always a huge plus. I have been lifting for over 10 years . . . That doesn't mean I know everything. In this lifestyle, you need to be open to new perspectives and new ways of thinking. Just like in life, this is how you grow and become better.
- Assisted reps- having a spotter there allows you to really push the envelope . . . whether that is adding more weight or pushing to absolute failure. This will help you tear down more muscle fiber allowing for new muscle growth.
- Remove distraction- working with a partner generally means you are alternating sets and spotting. This keeps the focus on the session and doesn't allow for external distractions to take over.